This 3 day course covers the installation, configuration and maintenance of the Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform (VSP) family. The course describes the specifications, architecture and components of each system.
The course introduces documentation and tools provided by Hitachi Data Systems for installing, configuring and servicing midrange systems of the VSP family and guides you through the steps to plan and perform an installation.
You will learn how to use the Service Processor (SVP) to set up the system and configure Fibre Channel and iSCSI ports for integration into SAN environments. You will explore the management tools and software and learn how to install, enable and use programs. Once familiar with these tools, you will create RAID groups and LUNs and configure a system to virtualize external storage. You will perform maintenance and upgrade activities, including replacing and adding components and performing a firmware update.
Finally, the course introduces problem-determination and incident-resolution tools and techniques to use when troubleshooting installation and support issues.
Lab exercises support the classroom sessions.
This course prepares you for the Hitachi Data Systems Qualified Professional VSP G200 to VSP G800 Storage Installation accreditation exam (HAT-421). For instructor-led training (ILT) sessions, the instructor will deliver and proctor the test at the conclusion of the course. Alternatively, and for sessions not in a classroom setting, the test is also available at Prometric test centers.
- learn to install, configure and maintain the midrange family of the Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform (VSP) family which includes the VSP G200, VSP G400, VSP G600 and VSP G800
- provision storage using midrange systems of the VSP family management tools and program products
- learn to carry out maintenance and upgrades, replace and add components, and perform firmware upgrades
- review troubleshooting and incident-resolution tools and techniques
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- understanding of Hitachi Virtual Storage family architecture and concepts
- installation and support experience with Hitachi modular or enterprise storage systems
Upon completion of this course, you should be able to:
- describe the architecture of midrange systems of the Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform (VSP) family
- discuss the specifications
- identify the internal components and their function
- identify the operating concepts
- describe the back end design and layout for each model, including drive trays and disk types
- describe the new installation procedures and identify when it is appropriate to use
- explain the process that Hitachi Vantara uses for collecting and documenting pre-installation information
- describe the key installation steps
- discuss how program products are installed, enabled and used
- identify documentation and tools provided by Hitachi Vantara for installing, configuring and servicing
- describe the maintenance functions
- apply the procedures for online hardware upgrades and reconfigurations
- discuss the firmware update process
- explain the parts-replacement procedures
- describe problem-determination and incident-resolution tools and techniques used when troubleshooting
- System Architecture and Operation Systems.
- Back End.
- New Installation.
- Hi-Track Installation.
- Maintenance and Configuration Changes.
Learning Activities — Labs
- MPC Installation.
- Auto Define Configuration.
- Initial Installation.
- Datacenter Integration.
- Change Configuration.